Everyone is excited for the New Year. The kids are excited to be going back to school because they are pretty bored by now, and the parents are excited to be getting them back to school because the kid’s boredom is driving them crazy. And then BANG! Not only have they out grown the school uniform, they need new school shoes.
The following are 3 mistakes that we see all the time when people are buying school shoes – don’t let this be YOU!
- They do not feel it is necessary to get the feet measured. They haven’t gotten any taller so surely their feet haven’t grown. Right? …… Wrong! One of the worst things you can do while the feet are still growing and developing is to put them in shoes that are too small. Think Chinese foot binding. Okay, so it’s not that bad but I think you get the picture.
- On the other side of the coin if the shoes are too big, the feet have to work overtime to stop them slopping around inside the shoe or have the laces done up too tight to hold them on. Get the feet measured and make sure they are standing when they do this.Your child does not actually try the shoes on. You are out shopping and just remember they need new shoes or you see a bargain and think they are that size. See mistake one for the consequences of this. You may get lucky, but you may not too.
- They buy for looks and not comfort and support. I have children. I have been down this path and believe me, it is not worth it. It was lucky that my child had a Podiatrist on stand by who was able to quickly and effectively solve their problems.
So there you have it. Three common mistakes we see in our clinic people make when it comes to buying school shoes. Don’t let it be you making one of these mistakes.
Last year we also had a very in-depth conversation with Natalie from the Athlete’s Foot in Albury. We asked a heap of questions.
The questions we asked were:
- What are the different types of school shoes you sell and fit at the Athlete’s Foot?
- Do you have shoes specific to girls?
- Can you tell us a bit about your MyFit technology and how does that help you to choose the correct school shoe for your customers?
- What qualities should we look for when buying school shoes?
- My child wears orthotics. Are you able to still fit the shoes?
- How long would you expect a pair of shoes on average to last with normal wear and tear?
- What are some of the mistakes you see when people are buying school shoes?
- What are your hot 3 tips when buying school shoes?
We went deep into all the above questions as you will see in the video. And I must admit, some of the answers surprised me. Don’t worry, it was in a good way.
You can see the video by clicking on the video below
This is a great video to save in the back of the archives as not only can you relate it to buying school shoes, you can relate it to any time you buy any shoe.
If you have any questions you want answered about school shoes, please do not hesitate to get in touch with us and one of our wonderful staff will get to your question.
If you need more help or advice or just want to check that the shoes you have bought after your child was measured, had you child try them on, and bought them for support and comfort, not looks, call the clinic (02) 60245577 and we will be sure to help you out.
I don’t know about you, but I cant wait for my kids to go back to school.